Scale modeling covers almost all fields of engineering and is often applied to medicine, meteorology, biology etc.
Because of its interdisciplinary nature, Professor Emori (the founder of scale modeling theory) knew there was a need for international communication among a wide range of scale modeling researchers. He initiated the first international symposium on scale modeling in 1988 in Tokyo under the sponsorship of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Following this first successful ISSM, so far eight symposia were held:
- ISSM-2 at Lexington, KY, USA in 1998,
- ISSM-3 at Nagoya, Japan in 2000,
- ISSM-4 at Cleveland, OH, USA in 2003,
- ISSM-5 at Choshi, Japan in 2006,
- ISSM-6 at Kauai, HI, USA in 2009,
- ISSM-7 at Hirosaki, Japan in 2013 and
- ISSM-8 at Portland, OR, USA in 2017.